Business Crime & Investigations
Founded in 1938, Peters & Peters is the acknowledged leader in the field of business crime, with one of the largest specialist teams in Europe.
We are recognised in legal directories as the market-leading global financial crime practice that is frequently called upon to act in significant cases for corporations, financial institutions, states and prominent individuals.
Chambers & Partners UK Guide 2021 says we are the “outstanding financial crime practice, and one of the earliest firms to establish itself in this field.”
Legal 500 2021 says we may be “the most experienced law firm in the area of business crime, especially for multi-jurisdictional and complex cases”
We have deep practical experience of all business crime issues, including:
- multi-jurisdictional criminal and financial regulatory investigations
- bribery and corruption
- cartels and competition
- economic sanctions
- private prosecutions and restraint and confiscation.
In an increasingly conflicted international arena, clients value our unparalleled expertise in related public law matters, such as economic sanctions, Interpol Red Notices and extradition proceedings in the UK and beyond.
Our Business Crime & Investigations team works closely with our colleagues in the firm’s award-winning Fraud & Commercial Disputes team. This means clients whose cases carry the risk of civil and criminal liability get the reassurance of a comprehensive and joined-up service.
- We secured the deletion of INTERPOL diffusions for two successful and high-profile Russian businessmen.
- We acted for the Hungarian national oil and gas company, MOL, in a major dispute with Croatia involving domestic criminal liability under both Croatian and Hungarian law, international standards for criminal investigations and prosecutions, mutual legal assistance, extradition, the granting of safe passage, the issuance of Red Notices, and the enforceability of arbitral awards.
We secured the acquittal of Richard Boath, a former Barclays senior executive, in a landmark prosecution by the Serious Fraud Office.
- We acted for a lead suspect in the global 1MBD case, concerning allegations of corruption stemming from high-level government figures in Malaysia and Abu Dhabi. We were the lead law firm for the international investigations on behalf of the client, managing a team of lawyers in each relevant jurisdiction.
- We represented a prominent trader in the multijurisdictional corruption and antitrust investigations into alleged foreign exchange manipulation.
- We acted for a leading international bank in the global investigations into alleged manipulation of the LIBOR rate.