FS Regulatory/FCA Investigations & Enforcement
Peters & Peters regularly advises firms and individuals subject to investigation by the Financial Conduct Authority.
We are known for achieving outstanding results for people accused of insider dealing, market abuse, unauthorised business or other regulatory misconduct.
Chambers UK 2021 ranks us in its top band for financial crime. It says we are a “leading practice in the defence of individuals against FCA, PRA and other regulatory bodies’ investigation and enforcement actions, including high-profile insider dealing cases and FX and Libor manipulation matters.” [Chambers & Partners 2021].
The FCA has adopted an increasingly rigorous approach to regulation in recent years. Its strategy of “credible deterrence” has also led to more criminal investigations and prosecutions. Peters & Peters is able to advise on both criminal and regulatory contentious FCA matters.
Our expertise includes:
- Investigations into breaches of the FCA’s principles and rules
- Insider dealing and market abuse
- Conducting unauthorised business
- Collective Investment Schemes and Unauthorised Collective Investment Schemes
- Systems and controls issues
- Senior Managers and Certification Regime
- AML, sanctions and ABC policies, procedures and breaches
- Approved person applications and the fit and proper test
- Representation at interview
- Assisting with disclosure pursuant to compulsory notices
- Regulatory proceedings, including settlement negotiations; warning and decision notices and RDC and Upper Tribunal hearings
- Internal investigations
Our Business Crime team contains former FCA enforcement lawyers, so our advice is based on a deep understanding of the FCA’s approach to regulation. We combine a robust approach to enforcement proceedings with an understanding of the need to be open and co-operative with the regulator. This has enabled us to achieve excellent outcomes for our clients including no further action being taken on insider dealing and other criminal cases, the FCA pursuing regulatory rather than criminal proceedings, and the minimisation of penalties and prohibitions.
We have a broad range of clients, including banks, hedge funds, insurance companies, peer-to-peer lenders, pay-day loan companies, senior executives, traders, brokers and independent financial advisors (IFAs).
We also provide advisory services for firms wishing to review and enhance their Corporate Compliance programmes, particularly in relation to systems and controls to prevent financial crime.
- Acting for a divisional director of a PLC accused of insider trading by the FCA
- We achieved an innovative and unprecedented settlement for pensions advisors investigated by the FCA
- We represented a senior African bank executive in an internal investigation
- Peters & Peters represented a high-net-worth individual prosecuted for insider dealing by the FCA.