Serious & General Crime
We are recognised experts in advising clients, both individuals and corporates, throughout the course of police investigations, and defending litigation in criminal courts. We have decades of experience in cases involving all types of serious and general crime, including allegations of homicide, rape and other sexual offences, assault, coercive and controlling behaviour, blackmail, drug offences, harassment and perverting the course of justice. Our cases include politically and professionally sensitive investigations across the full criminal spectrum.
Peters & Peters is recognised as “market leader”, for our “longstanding and exceptional experience in this area” , for being “strategically strong, knowledgeable”, and for providing “excellent levels of client service at all times of day and night”. (Legal 500 2024).
We represent our clients at police station interviews through to trial.
It is our role to guide individuals expertly through the complex processes involved. We have an impressive track record of persuading investigative and prosecuting agencies to drop their cases at an early stage, and of securing not guilty verdicts at trial for those cases that do proceed.
There are several former senior prosecutors in our team, giving us insight into how the investigators and prosecutors think, operate and make decisions. This means we can give strong strategic advice on criminal investigations and proceedings, and on preparing letters of representation on why cases should not be charged, or proceed to trial. We are renowned for taking an early proactive approach.
Our clients expect the highest possible levels of care. We often act for publicly known figures who face potential professional and reputational ruin; they value our discretion and our commitment to trying to conclude a case before it gets to the press.
We are frequently trusted by individuals to act for their family members, especially their children. We have a strong track record of successfully engaging with schools, colleges and universities to ensure that a criminal investigation does not impact education and life prospects.
We draw on the expertise of our Business Crime & Investigations team to advise on related matters, such as INTERPOL Red Notices, Extradition, Criminal Restraint & Confiscation, Inquiries & Inquests and FS Regulatory/FCA Investigations.
Our expertise includes:
- Representing clients at the police station, both on arrest and by appointment
- Making representations that charges should not be brought
- Defending criminal proceedings
- Removal of DNA from the police database
- Advising clients in relation to complaints against the police
- Advising victims of crime, including on how to exercise their right to review
We are experienced in criminal offences across the spectrum, including:
- Murder and manslaughter
- Offences against the person: grievous bodily harm (GBH), actual bodily harm (ABH) and common assault
- Extortion, blackmail, perverting the course of justice and perjury offences
- Sexual offences, including rape, sexual assault and assault by penetration
- Historic sexual offences
- Revenge porn and possession/distribution of indecent images
- Coercive and controlling behaviour
- Theft, burglary and robbery
- Offences under the Official Secrets Act
- Possession and/or supply of drugs
- Possession of knives and offensive weapons
- Kidnapping/false imprisonment
- Harassment and stalking
- Affray and public order offences
- Forgery and counterfeiting, including of identification documents
- Prosecution offers no evidence against a senior professional within a regulated services firm charged with allegations of non-fatal strangulation and assault
- Prosecution discontinues proceedings against HNW individual for possession of a false passport
- Advising the family of Harry Dunn in respect of the prosecution of Anne Sacoolas
- Securing the acquittal of a high-net-worth individual accused of serious sexual offences and false imprisonment