The go-to lawyer for clients accused of white-collar crime and recognised as one of the world’s top investigative lawyers, Michael heads the business crime team and is author of the textbook, The Law of Criminal Cartels.
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Association of Commonwealth Criminal Lawyers
- Competition Law Association
- International Association of Prosecutors
- International Bar Association (IBA)
Michael was called to the Bar in 1992 and prior to joining Peters & Peters was a senior specialist prosecutor at the Crown Prosecution Service Headquarters (CPS). He was a key member of a small specialist unit responsible for the prosecution of serious and high-profile fraud, terrorist, espionage and special interest criminal matters, including the Stansted Airport Afghan hijacking and the prosecution of Paul Burrell (Princess Diana’s butler). He is listed as one of only 10 of the world’s best investigative lawyers.
Since joining Peters & Peters Michael has dealt with a wide range of high-profile business crime matters. He has particular expertise in international corruption, criminal cartels, economic sanctions, extradition, mutual legal assistance, private prosecutions and FCA investigations.
His practice and ability was recognised in The Lawyer’s Hot 100 (2009) which described him as ‘an influential practitioner in fraud and regulatory work, so much so that he is top of the referral lists of many City firms for independent advice for directors’.
Michael regularly appears in the media to discuss his specialist areas and he is the author of the leading textbook on the UK Criminal Cartel Offence: The Law of Criminal Cartels – Practice and Procedure (Oxford University Press).
He was recognised as one of the UK’s most innovative lawyers in the 2011 FT Innovative Lawyer Awards and included in the list of the UK’s leading lawyers in Who’s Who Legal. He is ranked annually as a leading lawyer in the leading directories Chambers and Partners and Legal 500. More recently, Michael was recognised in the 2017 The Lawyer ‘Hot 100’ list, for his high profile representations and his key strategic role as new Senior Partner of Peters & Peters.
Michael co-writes the leading blog European Sanctions Law.
- USKOK v AY: Advocate General’s Opinion on EAW case published
- Peters & Peters act in successful defence of arbitration claim
- Peters & Peters leads on global defence strategy for high profile Middle Eastern client linked to 1MDB Fund
- Interpol deletes Red Notice issued against Russian client
- Acting for claimants in proceedings concerning breaches of directors’ duties
- Advising corporate client on sanctions issues following change in corporate ownership
- Ras Al Khaimah Investment Authority & Others v Bestfort Development LLP & Others
- Successful negotiation with HMRC on investigation into arms brokering
- Firm persuades Metropolitan Police to close investigation into rape allegation and destroy client’s DNA/arrest record
- Interpol recognises political motivation of Red Notice issued against Russian client
- Advising a multi-national corporation on bribery and corruption issues
- INTERPOL Red Notice removed for Jordanian businessman
- Firm successfully persuades authorities not to commence criminal investigation in respect of Wonga’s debt collection practices
- Numerous extradition requests and Interpol Red Notices challenged for high profile Egyptians subject to post-Mubarak sanctions
- Sanctions compliance programme for multi-national corporation operating in countries subject to stringent regimes
- Firm acts for major UK bank in relation to Libor rate fixing investigations in the UK, EU and US
- Firm coordinates defence of Egyptian businessman in Swiss money laundering investigation
- Representation of high profile individual under investigation by Italian authorities for money laundering and tax fraud
- Firm provides criminal and extradition advice to Yemeni businessman in relation to UK murder investigation
- Mutual legal assistance request leading to judicial review of the Secretary of State
- Advice in relation to a dispute concerning a sale of a privately-owned software company
- Most complex EU sanctions case ever
- Firm advises Russian billionaire on challenging EU sanctions and managing frozen assets
- Executive advised in rubber chemical price fixing investigation
- Acting for a former Egyptian Minister and his wife, challenging their sanctions
- Successful challenge to application for private prosecution against former Gibson Dunn partner for fraud and human trafficking
- Bribery and corruption review for a multi-national corporation
- Firm advises NGO on internal and external money laundering investigations
- Leading UK Bank in Interest Rate Swaps
- Unique plea agreement negotiated for senior executives involved in marine hose cartel
- Firm persuades private prosecutor to discontinue proceedings against international credit card company
To contact Michael please call:
+44 (0)20 7822 7755