Mutual Legal Assistance
Requests for Mutual Legal Assistance (MLA) are a common feature of multi-jurisdictional criminal and regulatory investigations. Peters & Peters provides expert advice to a range of individuals, corporations and governments across the globe.
We have unrivalled experience advising clients on MLA requests.
Our team including Nick Vamos, the former Head of the UK Central Authority for MLA, has acted in multiple cases assisting clients on complying with MLA requests, liaising with the requesting authority to clarify scope, addressing collateral risks and dealing with publicity, data protection and privilege.
We also have an exceptional track record of successfully resisting MLA requests where appropriate and launching challenges by way of judicial review if necessary.
We have deep expertise in taking proactive steps to dissuade the UK authorities from accepting MLA requests at the first instance, particularly in cases where the underlying investigation is politically motivated.
We have long-standing relationships with the relevant enforcement agencies so we can engage in meaningful dialogue to deal with the complex and often novel legal issues that MLA requests produce.
Where an MLA request has been made to an overseas authority, sometimes clients have the right to review the material prior to its submission to the UK.
We have undertaken such reviews and made representations to the authority concerned to resist the improper disclosure of information and documents.
We also advise governments that wish to initiate requests to obtain admissible evidence or take investigative steps in the UK for their own domestic proceedings.
We can ensure these requests are appropriately framed and assist in ensuring that the process operates smoothly in the UK to obtain this evidence as quickly as possible. In particular, we can represent a government’s interests in any legal challenges brought by the subject of a request.
- Peters & Peters acted for the Hungarian national oil and gas company, MOL on a range of issues including mutual legal assistance.
- Numerous extradition requests on Interpol Red Notices challenged for high profile Egyptians subject to post-Mubarak sanctions.
- Mutual Legal Assistance advice for persons concerned in high-profile criminal investigation in Iceland.
- Mutual legal assistance request leading to judicial review of the Secretary of State.
- Representing Danish National in a long running mutual legal assistance request.