Former Head of Special Crime and Head of Extradition at the Crown Prosecution Service, Nick has unique expertise and insight into complex, international, high-profile and sensitive criminal matters. He is described in Legal 500 as ‘a lawyer of formidable intellect and excellent judgement.’
- Extradition Lawyers Association
Nick has nearly 20 years of criminal law experience focussed on international, high-profile and sensitive matters. Nick joined the firm in September 2017 from the Crown Prosecution Service where he was Head of Special Crime, overseeing the most complex casework in the CPS including the Hillsborough disaster, corporate manslaughter, police corruption, deaths in custody, medical manslaughter and election fraud cases.
Nick has unique expertise and insight into international criminal investigations, having held the three most senior prosecution posts: Head of Extradition; Head of the UK Central Authority for Mutual Legal Assistance; and liaison prosecutor in Washington DC, where he worked closely with the Department of Justice on UK/US investigations. Nick has twice been invited to give expert evidence on extradition to UK Parliamentary committees, and regularly speaks and publishes on international criminal matters. He was a member of the UK delegation to the first Arab Forum on Asset Recovery in Doha and is the co-author of the official UK guide: “Obtaining Assistance from the UK in Asset Recovery: A Guide for International Partners”.
Due to his expertise in sensitive, political and cross-border investigations, many of Nick’s cases have a significant international element, involving co-ordination across multiple jurisdictions. Nick acts for individuals in high-profile extradition and mutual legal assistance cases and has expertise in the removal of INTERPOL Red Notices. As a former senior CPS leader, Nick’s advice is routinely sought by individuals and corporations looking to bring private prosecutions.
In Chambers and Partners 2021, Nick is described as “simply outstanding.” “He is highly intelligent and extremely experienced in extradition.” “He is a brilliant lawyer who is fantastic at guiding a client through a case.” (Crime: Extradition).
In Legal 500 2021, Nick is described as “giving clear, practical advice and his judgment of legal risks and likely outcomes is impeccable across a wide range of situations.”(Fraud : white- collar crime) ; “highly intelligent, has great charisma is a superb strategist and has ceaseless stamina. A top lawyer for private prosecution work.” (Crime : general); “ a standout member of the team.” (Financial services: contentious).
Nick is co-author of our recently launched Extradition UK blog site. The Extradition UK blog is a free to use service providing comprehensive and timely news updates in respect of extradition, INTERPOL and Mutual Legal Assistance. It provides coverage of key recent developments, procedures and cases relating to these areas of law, along with a range of static resources for those who wish to better understand the law and procedures. Subscribers will remain up to date with any new information or posts.
- Successful quashing of Red Notice for high-profile businessperson
- INTERPOL – Red Notice deleted
- Representing a UK businessman linked to a £70m alleged international fraudulent investment scheme
- UK-based money service business charged in UAE with money laundering and terrorist financing
- Acting in complex indecent images case
- Representing prominent foreign client accused in the UK of rape
- Partner Nick Vamos and Senior Associate Charlotte Tregunna prevent extradition of Russian businesswoman
- Peters & Peters secures 95% reduction in penalty for an engineering company in an HMRC export controls and sanctions investigation
- Peters & Peters secures deletions of Red Notices relating to Middle Eastern political figures
- INTERPOL deletes Red Notice & diffusion issued against two Indian businessmen
To contact Nick please call:
+44 (0)20 7822 7776