Experienced in high profile corruption and money laundering cases, Maria has strong international expertise.
- Association of Commonwealth Criminal Lawyers
- Franco-British Lawyers Society
- Union Internationale des Avocats (UIA)
- Fraud Lawyers Association
Maria has extensive experience in acting for both individual and corporate clients, with a firmly established expertise in SFO and City of London corruption and money laundering investigations, fraud prosecutions, and FCA-related matters. She has particular expertise in advising on sanctions and compliance related issues. Many of her cases have a strong international element and involve working with teams of professional advisors in multiple jurisdictions.
Maria has worked on numerous high-profile matters, including advising a multinational company in a global corruption investigation, advising prominent individuals in respect of allegations of corruption both here and overseas, and acting for a former minister in connection with allegations of money laundering. Her successes include recently securing the discharge of a US$23m restraint order, where it was held that there had been material non-disclosure by the Crown.
Maria regularly advises clients on critical business issues in relation to sanctions, contentious financial services regulation (such as insider dealing and market abuse), price fixing and complex fraud. She also has extensive experience of advising on, and carrying out, internal investigations both here and overseas.
In 2014, she was appointed co-President of the Criminal Commission of the Union International des Avocats (UIA). Created in 1927, UIA brings together over 2,000 individual members and 200 bar, federation and association members, from more than 110 countries.
Maria has considerable experience of European and International law. Before joining Peters & Peters, Maria spent six months in Brussels working at the European Commission on Consumer Protection. She advised on areas such as the Consumer Credit Directive, the Distance Marketing Directive and collective redress.
A native French speaker, who also reads Russian and German, the majority of Maria’s cases involve an international dimension.
- Interpol deletes Red Notice issued against Russian client
- Advising corporate client on sanctions issues following change in corporate ownership
- Representation of conglomerate in relation to international corruption investigation
- Firm defends online casino owners in novel cyber blackmail case involving notorious US hacker
- Representation of high-profile businessman in disciplinary, civil and criminal investigations relating to a billion dollar sports league
- Representation of corporate clients and individuals in relation to restraint arising from money laundering investigation
- Peters & Peters acted for the former Managing Director of a global security and protection company
- Representation of major foreign financial institution in relation to data theft committed by a UK employee
- LCIA arbitration
- Compliance review for international conglomerate focused on minimising risks posed by the use of consultants