Monty Raphael QC
With a renowned 50-year career at Peters & Peters, Monty is the UK’s most experienced white-collar crime lawyer, and according to Legal 500 an “industry legend”. He is a visiting Professor of Law at Kingston University.
- Anglo German Jurists
- Association of Commonwealth Criminal Lawyers
- Fraud Advisory Panel (FAP) (Director & Trustee)
- Howard League for Penal Reform (Honorary Solicitor)
- International Association of Technology Lawyers (Co-chair of the Cybercrime Committee)
- International Bar Association (IBA) (Chair of the Cybercrime Committee)
Monty has been with Peters & Peters throughout his 50-year legal career. He was Senior Partner until 2005 and now remains with the firm as full-time Special Counsel.
Specialising in corruption, tax delinquency, money laundering and FCA regulatory matters, he is widely regarded as the doyen of UK’s fraud lawyers (Legal 500 described him as an “industry legend” with “almost mythic status”.
Monty has more experience at dealing with the highest level white-collar criminal cases than any other UK lawyer. He is ranked as an expert in Legal Experts and named as one of the top 10 crisis lawyers in Legal Business (December/January 2008). He was named in The Lawyer in their 20th Anniversary Edition Hall of Fame: The great and the good and he is a visiting Professor of Law at Kingston University. Monty is ranked as one of the top 100 UK business lawyers and ranked first in Corporate Crime and Investigations in Chambers 100.
He acts for corporate and individual clients, financial institutions and professional firms, dealing with a huge variety of domestic and international fraud-related matters including corruption investigations, regulatory inquiries, compliance advice (particularly anti-money laundering), tax investigations and securities infractions.
Among the numerous high-profile cases that he has been involved in over the last two decades are Lloyds of London, Guinness, Barlow Clowes, Blue Arrow, BCCI, Maxwell, Wickes, Versailles, Cash for Honours, Oil-for-Food and a whole host of other, less well-known or less well publicised.
He also acted in the case of Harry Greenway, the only British Member of Parliament to be prosecuted for corruption.
When not practising, he is much sought after globally as an accomplished lecturer and speaker on all aspects of international business crime and regulation. He has regularly given evidence to the Group of States Against Corruption (GRECO) and Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Bribery Working Group peer reviews. He took part in the plenary working sessions of the Council of Europe in preparation for the first Council of Europe Criminal Law Convention on Corruption and in 2009 he was invited to give evidence on the Bribery Act to the UK Parliamentary Select Committee.
Monty is a past president of the London Criminal Courts Solicitors’ Association; founder of the Business Crime Committee of the International Bar Association, Co-Chair of its Cybercrime Subcommittee, and past Chair of its Anti-Corruption Committee; former member of the Council of the Institute of Education in the University of London; Honorary Solicitor to The Howard League for Penal Reform; Senior Advisor to IBA/SBL Money Laundering Directive Implementation Group; Principal, Cyber Fraud Unit, Fraud Advisory Panel; and former Director of Transparency International (UK).
- Representation of conglomerate in relation to international corruption investigation
- Firm defends online casino owners in novel cyber blackmail case involving notorious US hacker
- Representation of high-profile businessman in disciplinary, civil and criminal investigations relating to a billion dollar sports league
- INTERPOL Red Notice removed for Jordanian businessman
- Success for client in leading European case on MTIC fraud
- Representation of corporate clients and individuals in relation to restraint arising from money laundering investigation
- Firm acts for major UK bank in relation to Libor rate fixing investigations in the UK, EU and US
- Peters & Peters acted for the former Managing Director of a global security and protection company
- Representation of major foreign financial institution in relation to data theft committed by a UK employee
- Executive advised in rubber chemical price fixing investigation
- LCIA arbitration
- Weavering Capital (UK) Ltd
- Compliance review for international conglomerate focused on minimising risks posed by the use of consultants
To contact Monty please call:
+44 (0)20 7822 7777
- Business Crime
- Corporate Compliance
- Corruption & Bribery
- Criminal Fraud
- Criminal Restraint & Confiscation
- Cybercrime & Data Theft
- FCA Investigations & Enforcement
- General Crime
- Inquiries & Inquests
- Money Laundering
- Regulatory & Disciplinary Investigations
- Sports Disputes & Investigations
- Tax Investigations & Prosecutions